So, yeah. I’ve been working my arse off lately.
Here’s an update as to what’s coming up on the horizon.
CHAIN OF SHADOWS
Book 6 of the Blood Skies is undergoing its 3rd revision, and thus far I’m happy with what I’ve seen. The cover has been commissioned (once again by the talented Barry Currey) and Jen Kirchner is assisting me with edits and proofreading. Look for an October 25th release. Oh, and here’s the blurb, just in case you were wondering what the heck Cross and the gang are up to these days…
The barrier between worlds has been broken, and the invasion is about to begin.
Eric Cross, burdened by the loss of those who’ve died under his command, must lead his recently reunited mercenary team against the shadow wolf sorcerers known as the Maloj. Bound to dire artifact blades and charged with protecting the Kindred, Cross seeks help from the enigmatic White Mother, leader of the Southern Claw.
But sinister forces bring his vessel down in a strange and distant land, and soon Cross and his allies are beset by undead armies vying for control of the deadly region called the Chain of Shadows. Trapped in a desert waste where wielding magic is dangerous and nothing is as it seems, Cross’s team will pay the ultimate price in their battle to finally reach home…
As I’ve mentioned in some other posts, Chain of Shadows will signal something of a major turning point in the Blood Skies storyline, setting the stage for the final three books (Vampire Down, The Ending Dream and Darker Sunset) that will finally wrap things up.
PATH OF BONES
Last week I finished writing the rough draft for Path of Bones, and all I can say is….sheesh, that was hard! ;D Clocking it at over 150,000 words, Book 2 of the Skullborn Trilogy is easily the longest thing I’ve written to date, and even if I shave off my customary 15-20% in edits that will still leave PoB as one meaty epic fantasy adventure.
I haven’t written the blurb for this one yet, but I’ll drop a few highlights that I recall from writing the first draft:
* Ijanna and Kath cross the Bonelands, pursued by the Chul and aided by the outlaw band of Bloodspeakers called the Red Hand.
* Dane and Kruje get waylaid in the criminal city of Kaldrak Iyres, and have to contend with the Phage and a vicious Veilwarden gangster named Mazrek Chairos.
* Argus Saam’siir, a young but powerful Veilwarden, is tasked by the White Dragon Empress to track down Ijanna and the other Skullborn, using a team of powerful hunters and mercenaries (including a Veilwarden, a shapeshifter, a mage with powers in the world of dreams, Marros Slayne and his Black Eagle assassins, and a troll!)
* We meet members of the Cabal, a shadowy coalition with a world-shattering agenda.
* Intrigue, magic, sex, torture, mass battles, new monsters like Razorcats and Runefiends, betrayels, ancient artifacts and a struggle at a ruined city at the edge of the wastelands — what more could you want? =D
Too early to set a release date as of yet, but I’m shooting for sometime early next year. (I’d love to have it done before Christmas, and I’ll do everything in my power to make that happen, but no promises. This is a big book, and my already extensive editing and revision process will take a bit longer this time out.)
BLOOD ANGEL RISING
In case you haven’t seen, Blood Angel Rising has been coming at you 8 sentences at a time as part of Weekend Writing Warriors. This modern horror tale about an age-old creature on the run from a pair of professional bounty hunters who specialize in hunting down supernatural creatures has been on my shelf for a long time, but I’m enjoying sharing it paragraph at a time as a running break from my other ongoing projects. If you haven’t checked it out yet, give it a try and tune in every Saturday for a new mini-chapter!
That’s it for now. Be sure to check out the Guild of Dreams sight later this week for a sneak peek at Chain of Shadows!